Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Portuguese Cheese Salad


Okay, this may not look like much (due mostly to my poor photography skills-especially using my low-tech phone camera), but this cheese salad is THE BEST!  When I was a kid, we lived across the street from a Portuguese couple who would often invite our family over for really good eats.  This recipe was one that our neighbor served and I fell in love with.  I made this sandwich for my dad a lot during my teen years, and now my husband LOVES this.  Whenever I have some cheese that needs to be used, this is one of my go-to recipes.  It is also great grilled or rolled in lettuce leaves.

Portuguese Cheese Salad Sandwich

2 cups grated cheese (preferably not packaged shredded type).  I use cheddar.
1/2 cup black olives, finely chopped
3 Tbs. minced onion
1 clove fresh garlic, minced or 1/4 tsp (heaping) garlic powder
1 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1/3 cup mayonnaise
Whole Grain Sourdough Bread

Mix all ingredients together.  Spread on whole grain bread and top with tomatoes and/or lettuce leaves. 

Variations:
  • Grilled Cheese: Spread two slices of bread with butter.  Spoon cheese salad onto one slice of bread.  Top with the other slice of bread and cook on a hot griddle until bread is golden brown.  Flip sandwich and grill other side until golden brown.
  • Serve as an appetizer on crackers
  • Serve wrapped in lettuce leaves for a low-carb alternative




No comments:

Post a Comment